As of June 19, 2014, the operation of Enterprise Cape Breton Corporation has been transferred to both the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency and the Public Works and Government Services Canada. Content on this site has been archived for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes.
Web pages that are archived on the Internet are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. For more information on archived materials, please visit Library and Archives Canada
Please refer to the appropriate Government of Canada Agency/Department for updated information:
CAPE BRETON TALENT TO BE SHOWCASED DURING EAST COAST MUSIC WEEK 2014
Cape Breton Music Industry Cooperative to host a Cape Breton Artists’ Showcase
February 25, 2014 Sydney, NS Enterprise Cape Breton Corporation
Cape Breton has long been famous for its talented musicians, singers and songwriters, many of whom have made their mark in international markets. In addition to the Cape Breton artists being honoured this April during the 2014 East Coast Music Week, the Cape Breton Music Industry Cooperative (CBMIC), with support from Enterprise Cape Breton Corporation (ECBC), will produce an additional event to showcase emerging and established Cape Breton talent and to celebrate the island’s music industry.
• CBMIC is a not-for-profit organization mandated to grow and support Cape Breton’s music industry. It serves as a resource where artists can turn for knowledge, advice and support as they begin and continue their musical careers.
• CBMIC creates showcase opportunities, develops relationships between local artists and industry representatives, and searches out funding for artists to further develop their careers.
• Previous CBMIC initiatives supported by ECBC include the International Music Export Program that provides export ready musicians and music groups with the necessary funding to expand market opportunities outside of Canada, to increase earned revenue potential and to increase the sale of music products to international markets.
• In 2011, CBMIC promoted Cape Breton musicians during and following the Showcase Scotland event which was part of Celtic Connections in Glasgow, Scotland.
• CBMIC has also hosted promotion events for Cape Breton artists at previous ECMAs.
• CBMIC also worked in partnership with Music Nova Scotia to host Nova Scotia Music Week in Sydney in November, 2013.
• East Coast Music Week (ECMAs) will take place this year from April 2-6, in Charlottetown, P.E.I. and will include a festival, conference, an export buyers’ program and an awards ceremony.
• ECBC is providing a non-repayable contribution of $19,750 to CBMIC to host the 2014 Cape Breton Artists’ Showcase.
• The showcase will be held at the Rodd Charlottetown Hotel on April 4, 2014.
“Atlantic Canada’s music industry is renowned for its world-class singers, songwriters, and musicians. Our Government recognizes the importance of the music sector to our economy and the export potential of our region’s performers. We are pleased to help Cape Breton artists showcase their talent with a view to reaching new markets.”
The Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“The experience and knowledge gained from participating in these showcase events help artists and musicians develop their careers. It also contributes to building a stronger cultural industry in Cape Breton that attracts visitors who come to experience the island’s unique culture and music.”
Jennifer Currie, CBMIC
Enterprise Cape Breton Corporation is a federal Crown corporation offering programs in support of commercial development, community development, environmental stewardship and real property development on Cape Breton Island and in the Mulgrave area. It is also responsible for the delivery of the programs of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency in its mandate area.
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of State
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
Jennifer Currie, Chairperson
Cape Breton Music Industry Cooperative
Albert Lionais, Project Manager
Cape Breton Music Industry Cooperative