As of June 19, 2014, the operation of Enterprise Cape Breton Corporation has been transferred to both the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency and the Public Works and Government Services Canada. Content on this site has been archived for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes.
Web pages that are archived on the Internet are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. For more information on archived materials, please visit Library and Archives Canada
Please refer to the appropriate Government of Canada Agency/Department for updated information:
GOVERNMENT OF CANADA SUPPORTS PHASE II OF THE CHETICAMP FACADE AND STREETSCAPE PROGRAM
January 17, 2014 Cheticamp, NS Enterprise Cape Breton Corporation
The Conseil Économique de Chéticamp is receiving a $467,600 contribution through Enterprise Cape Breton Corporation to implement Phase II of a façade improvement program for the village of Cheticamp. The program will provide a facelift to approximately twenty businesses in the community.
In addition, a streetscapes improvement component will include new lighting, signage, street art and the development of a small park for the enjoyment of local residents and tourists.
· Phase II of the Cheticamp façade and streetscape program begins in January 2014 and continues until March 2015.
· The project involves the development and implementation of a design theme that is reflective of the Acadian heritage and culture of the community.
· Eligible businesses will receive a contribution of 50% of the cost of their façade improvements.
· Phase I of the program had total expenditures of $1.47 million dollars and included 41 facade upgrades and four streetscape initiatives.
· Businesses that participated in Phase I reported a significant increase in revenue. It is expected that after the Phase II façade improvements, local businesses will again see more traffic which will translate to increased sales and revenue.
· Enterprise Cape Breton Corporation (ECBC) has previously supported façade improvement programs in various Cape Breton Island communities including Sydney, St. Peters, Glace Bay, Mabou and along the Cabot Trail.
· The Acadian Village of Cheticamp is situated on the western side of Cape Breton Island on the world famous Cabot Trail. It is home to 3,500 people along with 150 businesses/community facilities.
“Our Government recognizes that a successful business environment is essential to sustain vibrant communities. The Cheticamp façade program will allow for improvements to the local business community that will help increase tourism revenues and support economic growth in the region for years to come.”
The Honourable Rob Moore, Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency)
“The funding we received from ECBC allowed for a successful first phase of the façade program. It brought new life to the community and we are confident that phase two will be just as successful in increasing business revenues and traffic to the area.”
Angus Lefort, President of Le Conseil Économique de Chéticamp
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of State
Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency
Cheticamp Facade & Streetscape
Office: 902 224-1388
Cell: 902 224-7411
Conseil économique de Cheticamp
Cell : 902 224-0442