As of June 19, 2014, the operation of Enterprise Cape Breton Corporation has been transferred to both the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency and the Public Works and Government Services Canada. Content on this site has been archived for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes.
Web pages that are archived on the Internet are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. For more information on archived materials, please visit Library and Archives Canada
Please refer to the appropriate Government of Canada Agency/Department for updated information:
MINISTER ANNOUNCES INVESTMENTS IN CAPE BRETON
SYDNEY (NS) – January 20, 2013 – Across the country, community centres, cultural centres, hockey rinks, swimming pools, and other community projects are being improved thanks to support from the Harper Government’s commitment to Cape Breton.
As part of the Government’s Economic Action Plan 2012, the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Regional Minister for Nova Scotia, on behalf of the Honourable Bernard Valcourt, Associate Minister of National Defence and Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency) (La Francophonie), today announced support for 10 projects in the Cape Breton Regional Municipality.
“I am proud our government continues to ensure that the infrastructure needs of communities in Cape Breton are addressed. We are listening to the needs of Cape Bretoners and acting on them,” said Minister MacKay. “The investments I am announcing today create jobs, growth and support the prosperity of Cape Breton for years to come.”
In Economic Action Plan 2012, the Harper Government announced further support to help communities across the country modernize their infrastructure. Our Government committed $150 million over two years for the Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund. The Fund supports projects that look to improve existing community infrastructure, such as community centres, recreational buildings, local arenas, cultural and other community facilities.
The Government of Canada’s combined investment of $328,858 supports the upgrading of the following community recreation facilities:
• The Cape Breton Regional Municipality receives $114,500 to undertake a boardwalk repair program to the existing Sydney Boardwalk, a year-round destination for residents and visitors.
• The Northend Park Project Group receives $34,757 to significantly upgrade a playground in the historic north end of Sydney.
• The New Waterford & District Community Centre benefits from $62,986 to upgrade the local arena including the installation of energy efficient lighting, an e-ceiling and electrical system upgrades.
• The Cape Breton Regional Municipality receives $23,950 to replace the roof at the Louisbourg Playhouse, a popular attraction for both locals and tourists. • The Dominion Volunteer Fire Department Social Club receives $16,000 to conduct renovations to its facility.
• The East Bay Volunteer Fire Department benefits from $12,605 to upgrade its fire hall which is a focal point for many community activities.
• The Boisdale Volunteer Fire Department renovates the fire hall that also serves as a community centre thanks to $9,825 in assistance.
Additional monies were dedicated to local Associations and a Pensioners’ Club.
Minister MacKay also took the opportunity to announce, on behalf of the Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister for Status of Women, the government's support for a new project with the goal of increasing economic prosperity for young women. The Cape Breton Business Partnership is receiving $169,973 for a 24-month project that will take place in rural and urban communities in Cape Breton.
The organization will facilitate consultations and outreach with young women ages 16 to 25 in order to identify barriers to their economic success. A team of young women will then lead projects to address these barriers. Knowledge sharing will be a key part of the project to ensure its findings and success stories assist and inspire even more young women.
902 564 3617
Special Assistant (Communications)
Office of the Hon. Peter MacKay
Minister of National Defence and MP for Central Nova
(902) 426-4414 (main) or (902) 401-4682 (cell)
FOR SPECIFIC PROJECT INFORMATION:
Northend Park Project
902 270 6013
New Waterford & District Community Centre
902 862 6031
CB Regional Municipality
902 563 5183
Dominion Volunteer Fire Dept Social Club
902 842 0777
East Bay Volunteer Fire Department
902 828 2107
Boisdale Volunteer Fire Department
902 871 2810
Glace Bay Negro Improvement Association
902 849 6462
Ethiopian Community Club Menelik Association
902 577 1459
Sydney Mines Seniors' & Pensioners' Club
902 794 8856