As of June 19, 2014, the operation of Enterprise Cape Breton Corporation has been transferred to both the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency and the Public Works and Government Services Canada. Content on this site has been archived for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes.
Web pages that are archived on the Internet are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. For more information on archived materials, please visit Library and Archives Canada
Please refer to the appropriate Government of Canada Agency/Department for updated information:
MINISTER MACKAY ANNOUNCES SUPPORT FOR COMMUNITY INFRASTRUCTURE IN RICHMOND AND INVERNESS COUNTIES
PORT HAWKESBURY (NS) – December 8, 2012 – As part of Economic Action Plan 2012, the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Regional Minister for Nova Scotia, on behalf of the Honourable Bernard Valcourt, Associate Minister of National Defence and Minister of State (Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency) (La Francophonie), today announced federal government investments for eight projects in Richmond and Inverness Counties.
“Our Government has made infrastructure improvements a key part of its plan to create jobs, growth and long-term prosperity for Nova Scotians,” said Minister MacKay. “These recreation facilities play an important role in community life for the areas they serve. We know that these investments enhance the quality of life in our communities, while generating economic activity and jobs.”
The Government of Canada’s combined investment of $245,552 will support the upgrading of the following well-known community recreation facilities.
• The Lennox Passage Yacht Club will receive $101,000 to make significant improvements to its wharf.
• The Port Hawkesbury Veterans’ Memorial Park will receive $33,000 to upgrade the cenotaph property in Port Hawkesbury.
• The Acadiaville Community Centre will receive $26,000 to renovate its facility in West Arichat and acquire kitchen equipment.
• The Little Anse/Sampson’s Cove Social Action Club will receive $25,719 to upgrade its community hall including a new heating/cooling system, kitchen renovations, a new well, interpretive signage and parking lot upgrades.
• The Royal Canadian Legion Branch 150 of Isle Madame will receive $22,982 to undertake various building improvements.
• The River Bourgeois Community Service Society will receive $15,500 to upgrade its multi- purpose community facility including renovations to the building and enhancements to an existing baseball field, playground and tennis court.
• Development Isle Madame will receive $13,133 to upgrade the LeNoir Landing Forge, a popular attraction on the Arichat waterfront.
• The Consolidated Recreation Association will receive $8,218 to conduct upgrades to the Whycocomagh Arena.
In Economic Action Plan 2012, the government announced plans to further modernize Canada’s infrastructure by committing $150 million over two years for the Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund. The CIIF supports projects that look to improve existing community infrastructure, such as community centres, recreational buildings, local arenas, cultural and other community facilities.
The Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency is delivering the Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund in Atlantic Canada with an allocation of $16.6 million over two years.
Enterprise Cape Breton Corporation is a federal Crown corporation offering programs in support of commercial development, community development, environmental stewardship and real property development on Cape Breton Island and in the Mulgrave area.
902 564 3617
Special Assistant (Communications)
Office of the Hon. Peter MacKay
Minister of National Defence and MP for Central Nova
(902) 426-4414 (main) or (902) 401-4682 (cell)
Lennox Passage Yacht Club
902 623 0090
Port Hawkesbury Veterans’ Memorial Park
902 625 0812
Acadiaville Community Centre
902 226 2645 (main) or 902 631 3819 (cell)
Little Anse/Smapson’s Cove Social Action Club
902 227 5778
Royal Canadian Legion Branch 150
902 631 1917
River Bourgeois Community Service Society
902 535 3182
Development Isle Madame
902 226 1918
Consolidated Recreation Association
902 623 1165